Archive for May, 2009
Castello del Trebbio was built as a fortress in the twelfth century for the Pazzi family. Its fame is due to the “Pazzi Conspiracy”, a plot organized by the Pazzi family in 1478 to kill their old enemies Giuliano and Lorenzo de’ Medici. In the fifteenth century ownership transferred to the Medici family who converted it into a villa. The current family purchased it in 1968 and have restored it respecting its history. The estate comprises about 60 hectares of grapes, 10.000 olive trees and native forest, a total of 350 hectares. A tour of the castle and the old wine cellars with wine and olive oil tasting is possible for groups with reservation. Also part of the estate are apartments for rent by tourists.The cellars date from 1184, with the newest part of the castle being the courtyard that is about 600 years old. The the current owners’ parents bought the castle in 1968, and after 20 years restoration, both passed away between 1988 and 1990. Only 2 of the 5 children decided to keep the estate and the castle. One of them, Anna, lives in the castle with her husband Stefano, the winemaker of the company, along with their 3 young children. Anna is responsible for the wine marketing, and for the olive oil and saffron production.
Burgundy, and Nothing But Burgundy.
We recently had the very distinct pleasure of touring the facilities of Louis Jadot. Their new (1996) vinification cellars in Beaune and in Beaujolais, as well as the creation of the CADUS cooperage and the purchase of Château des Jacques in 1996 underline the aim of controlling the quality of their wines at each stage of their elaboration. Louis Jadot also entered into a partnership with a firm of coopers from South-West France to form the Cadus Cooperage, established in Ladoix Serrigny (5 km from Beaune). This ensures improved control over the origin of the wood and the preparation of the barrels. Aging wine in wooden barrels is very important for the balance, aromas and the aging potential of a great wine.